Small Business of the Year
Small Business of the Year
2023 Small Business of the Year Award Nominations
The Hampton Roads Chamber and the Small Business Development Center of Hampton Roads are proud to provide special recognition to the Hampton Roads small business community by presenting an award to one business from each of the five Southside cities and one from the Peninsula.
One small business of these six will then be chosen as the 2023 Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business of the Year. Small businesses are the backbone of our local and national economies, representing more than 95 percent of all employers, creating three-fourths of all new jobs, and accounting for more than one-half of the nation’s gross domestic product.
For more than 30 years, the Hampton Roads Chamber has recognized one exceptional small business owner for his or her tireless work and embodiment of the spirit of enterprise.
Eligibility for Small Business of the Year:
A business must meet the following requirements to receive the 2023 Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business of the Year Award:
- 250 employees or less as established in the North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- Gross revenues of less than $10 million in 2022
- Be in business for more than three consecutive years
Eligible applicants will be judged on the following criteria:
- Financial performance and business history
- Staff training and motivation
- Community involvement
- Customer service and satisfaction
- Business plan or strategies and goals
- Strategy for growth
Nominating and Judging Process:
Small businesses are encouraged to apply directly for the award. In addition, associations, financial institutions, and other companies may nominate small businesses that meet the award’s requirements. Judging is done by a committee of experts after all applications have been received.
For more information on the 2023 Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business of the Year Awards, contact Lianna Arbitter.
Apply Online or Download the Applications
If you choose to Download the Application, submit your completed application to:
Hampton Roads Chamber
Attention: Lianna Arbitter
101 West Main Street, Suite 800
Norfolk, VA 23510
All applications must be received no later than February 16, 2023, by 5:00 PM to qualify.
The 2023 Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business of the Year Awards pays tribute to the small business community. Six finalists representing each of the five Southside cities and the Peninsula will be recognized at the awards presentation luncheon being held in May during National Small Business Week for his or her business’s accomplishments and community involvement.
At this ceremony, the overall regional winner will be announced from these candidates and will be placed in consideration for the U.S. Chamber Small Business of the Year Awards Competition.
The overall regional winner will also receive a gift packet from the Hampton Roads Chamber valued at $10,000.
Timelines / Deadlines
- Small Business Application: Specific questions pertaining to application questions– contact Lianna Arbitter at 757.664.2595 for more info.
- February 16, 2023: Application Deadline – All applications due by 5:00 p.m.
- May 2, 2023: Hampton Roads Chamber Small Business Awards Luncheon held during National Small Business Week.